Strictly speaking this is a baptism and first communion dress. The baptism was last night.
The pattern I used is Lekala 7087
It is a simple bodice with princess seams and a flared skirt. No gathers or pleats. The dress is designed to have a chiffon overlay. I just used the underskirt as a lining and the overskirt is in the same fabric as the bodice.
The fabric is linen/viscose blend which is completely delightful. I think it might be the nicest fabric I’ve ever sewn with. I will certainly be looking out for this blend in the future. I got it mail order from a shop in Paris for the bargain price of 10€ for 3m (plus postage) . See http://www.les-coupons-de-saint-pierre.fr/fr/tissu-lin-uni/11844-lin-viscose-brode-fleurs-sur-fond-blanc.html
As this was a lekala pattern it is made to measure. I made no fitting adjustments, though I did lengthen it by 10cm as it was a little too short for what I wanted.
Construction was straightforward. The only slightly tricky bit was the bias binding at the neck and armholes as I used satin binding which was a little tricky to work with. I hand stitched an invisible hem as I felt this fabric deserved that sort of treatment.
I am very proud of this dress and my daughter loves it too (sorry we didn’t get any photos without the cardigan). Once the first communion is over I am considering dying it pink (or maybe yellow) so she can get some more use out of it before she out grows it. Not sure how the binding will take the dye but it might look nice with white binding on a pink dress.